This page is to help answer any and all questions that parents may have before or during the time their child is at camp.
For travel arrangements, when does camp start and end each week?
- Camps begin on Sundays with registration from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm, orientation at 1:00 pm, and ice time in the evening. Weekly camps end after the Saturday game typically sometime before 1 pm.
When is Registration?
- Every Sunday for nine weeks of camp MHC has registration from 10:30 AM to 12:30 pm in the GYM. Campers will be expected to check in every week during registration. After registration we have a welcome speech from the Grillo family and other staff members. Parents are encouraged to stay. The camp's address is 24621 South Clark Lake Road, Nisswa, MN 56468. Phone # 218-963-2444
My child is staying for multiple weeks, do I need to pay for an extra night of lodging on Saturdays?
-No. An extra night of lodging is for those that need to arrive at camp a day early or stay a day late for travel reasons.
Where is the RINK?
- MHC is a proud to partner with Brainerd Area Hockey Association and use the Essentia Health Sports Center as our rink for camp. It is located at 502 Jackson St. Brainerd, MN 56401-2945. Telephone number - (218) 825-3005 www.brainerdareaciviccenter.com
Can I send my camper a package?
- There is nothing more awesome for a camper than to receive a box/letter from home. The only problem is that we have strict dietary issues at camp. We are no different than a school. We have camper's with allergies that are life threatening. So NO food is allowed in care packages. All boxes that come in the mail will be searched. If you send any food of any kind it will be put in the SNACK BOX for all campers to share. If it has any nuts in it will be thrown away. We know you moms love to send food. BUT in the history of camp I have never lost a camper due to starvation!!
My Camper has a birthday during camp?
- YEAH!! We love birthdays! Please email Dan at email@example.com and set up a birthday surprise for your camper!
What to bring?
- Great question! Let's start with your camper! That would be number one on the list! Next would be hockey gear. Campers will need to bring all of their gear to camp. Here is a list of other items that campers will want to bring:
- Athletic clothing -shorts, T-shirts, sweat pants, sweatshirts, GOOD running shoes and/or workout shoes DO NOT BRING: jeans or any nice clothing. It's camp! It's fun and dirty!
- Bedding - most campers bring sleeping bags because they are the easiest but you are allowed to bring sheets, blankets and anything from home. You will need to bring pillows as well. You can rent bedding for $25 per camper.
- Shower STUFF - campers will need to bring their own shampoo and soap along with towels
- Fans - 99% of all housing is NOT air-conditioned! You will want to bring a fan if you think your camper will get hot. We have fans that can be rented for $15.
- Cell phones, iPods, iPads, any and all electronics - Campers can bring cell any electronics that they want to camp. MHC is not responsible for those items in any way. Wifi service is available.
- Rollerblades - campers love having roller blades
- Fishing poles - if they like to fish, they will have some free time. We have bait that will be available but campers will need to bing their own poles.
- Swim suits are recommended as well
- Over the Counter Medicine/Prescription Medicine - NO over the counter drugs are permitted in camper's housing. We have all of that in our athletic training room. Campers can ask any day at any time for Advil, Tylenol, etc. ALL prescription medicine should be turned into the Athletic Trainer during registration.
What not to bring?
- Please remember, food is not allowed to be brought from outside the camp and no food allowed in housing areas. This is for the safety of all campers and to prevent any exposure to kids with food allergies. MHC will search any and all luggage that comes on campus. We protect our campers at any and all cost.
Do I give my camper cash?
- The answer to that is yes. We have a snack plan in place for you to purchase ahead of time for your campers. That should reduce the amount of money that you send with your camper. We do make trips into town for treats once a week and go to the movies on Saturday night (only if your camper is staying multiple weeks). They will need their own money for that. We recommend that you put any cash in their Pro Shop account. The camper can check out that money before any trip to Nisswa and or movies in the office. You can purchase cash cards online when you sign up for camp or during registration.
Can my 16 year old (or older) drive him/her self to camp?
- With parental permission a camper can have a car on campus. They will need to register their car during registration. Parents will need to let us know if they would like us to collect keys. Parents will need to sign a release if the camper is under the age of 18. Campers with a car on campus will need to follow car rules. IF they are broken one time they will be sent home. This is a HUGE risk for us and only those that take it as seriously as we do can be allowed to have this privilege.
Can I come and watch?
- If you are in the area, we invite you to attend any ice sessions that you want to watch of your campers. We do ask that you refrain from coming out to campus as much as possible. If you do come please check in with the office staff.
Is the campus secure? Is there anyone watching my kid?
- We take the safety of your child very seriously. We have coaches and counselors that are here to make sure your camper has a fun and safe learning environment. We enforce a strict curfew policy for older campers and the gate locks every night at 9 pm. We have a counselor on every floor of housing for all campers under the age of 16. We would not be in business for over 30 years if this was not a top priority for us.
How do I arrange for transportation for my son/daughter?
From Brainerd Airport (20 min drive): MN Hockey Camps will pick your child up/drop off from the Brainerd Airport for a round trip fee of $55. When registering, select the "Brainerd Airport & Hotel Shuttle Pick up (round trip) and also be sure to enter in the correct flight information when answering the registration questions.
From MSP Airport (2.5 hour drive): Call Executive Express at 888-522-9899 or click www.executiveexpress.biz/contact for shuttle service from the Minneapolis Airport to MN Hockey Camps. The standard individual rate is $158 round trip from MSP to MN Hockey Camps. Groups rate discounts and private shuttles are also available.
Can I bring my own food or supplements to camp? Can I send a food pack to camp?
No, we do not allow outside food to be brought or sent to camp, including supplements. We do this for the safety and health of all campers. We want to limit any unnecessary exposure to foods that might cause an allergic reaction. Food is not allowed in housing areas. We do provide healthy sport supplement options that are available in the pro shop. We maintain a high standard of providing healthy, safe foods to our aspiring athletes at camp.
Can I get my skates sharpening available? Where can I buy hockey gear? What if I need my skates fixed?
Yes, skating sharpening can be purchased as a session option. You can log into your account or add it or add it during registration. Skate sharpening is done by the Hockey House in Brainerd, MN which also has hockey gear and repair services.
Is lodging available for parents?
Although Minnewawa Lodge is mainly used for hockey camp during July and August. We do have cabins and rooms available before, during, and after camp. We can also give you information about resorts in the area. Call 218-963-2444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can parents eat at the camp?
We do offer individual meals and weekly meal plans for guests and visitors which can be purchased in the pro shop at camp. We also have snacks available in the Pro Shop/ Healthy Huddle for purchase.
Are private on-ice lessons available?
Private/ Small Group Lessons are available upon request during some weeks of camp. Occasionally, we offer extra individual skill sessions. Look for information at registration.
If there any other questions, e-mail email@example.com or call 218-963-2444.